I recently got an email from Spokeo stating my "account had been upgraded" but I didn't have an account with them. I clicked on the link and was horrified at what was linked to my personal email that I've had for over ten years. So I contacted them stating I wanted to be deleted from their site and this is what they sent back to me:
We understand that you are concerned about the information shown our search results, and allow all users to remove them accordingly.
Here at Spokeo, we provide 3 different ways to perform searches. Our Reverse Phone and Name Searches reflects information gathered from hundreds of public sources, such as phone books, marketing surveys, business sites and more. You can opt to block out your information here:
http://www.spokeo.com/privacy (please note that this applies only Phone and Name Searches)
To remove Phone/Name Listings:
1. Locate the listing you want removed (it should look something like "http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Smith%20Sample#Sample:1219812367")
2. Copy this URL (also known as a link)
3. Go to www.spokeo.com/privacy
4. Paste the URL
5. Provide your email address (this will not be retained by Spokeo, and acts simply as a verification process where a confirmation will be sent to your inbox) and Code
6. Check your inbox for email sent, and click on the link on the bottom to complete removal process.
7. The directory listing will later be flagged and removed by an engineer within 1 business day.
*Please note that since the name, phone, and email information aggregated by Spokeo is publicly available, opting out of Spokeo does not remove the information from its original sources. Spokeo is a search engine specialized in aggregating people-related information from hundreds of additional sites. If you would like to remove your information from all of these sources, please consult ReputationDefender or other privacy-protection services.